Sunday, January 24, 2010

Puppy-sitting

Saturday the 16th, I left my home to go get a hair cut. On my way, I saw a beagle and a chihuahua running around. Two little boys were near them so I just figured they belonged to each other and drove on.

When I came home from the appointment, the dogs were even closer to my house (like near my driveway). I didn't see the boys anywhere around. Well, I opened my garage door and pulled in. Much to my surprise, when I get out of the car, the two dogs are in my garage. Neither of them had tags and only the beagle had a collar. So I rounded them up, which was fairly easy and walked into the house with them.

My husband was right there in the laundry putting on his shoes as we were going out for the day. He stops, looking very surprised and asked me, "Uh, why...why do you have dogs?" I nonchalantly kept walking replying, "I dunno, they followed me in. I figured they could stay in the back yard and we'll find their owners." James said, "Uh..okay.."

So I put some water out on the back porch for them and we left. While we were in town we had to stop by WalMart anyway and restock some of our food staples. We bought a small bag of dog food while we were there. I was amazed at how worried I was for these little pups. My husband still laughs at me for it. I figure I'm going to be a paranoid mother too...

We got home and the dogs were still in our yard. We poured some food for them and they scarfed it down! They were starving! So we played with them for a little bit and then James posted their pictures on website after website. We also called the home builders that are near us in case worried owners came in to inquire.

It took until Thursday to find their owners. And we had help from one of James' co-workers who lives at the other end of our development. His co-worker found a sign at his end of the neighborhood and called us immediately. Thursday morning we called the owners and they came and picked them after work.

We certainly had an adventure with the dogs. The beagle was the best. Completely house-trained and wouldn't do anything in the house. The little rascal chihuahua on the other hand...we picked up after quite a few times. But it was fun having them. James and I learned that we're not ready for dogs, nor live the lifestyle for them. We're okay with that and talked about getting a dog eventually, when I'm home more often. But for the time we had them it was fun. We were just so glad to have found their owners!











1 comment:

Hilary said...

You are such a good person to take care of them like that. I'm sure the owners were so grateful. It's amazing that you found their owners! They sure look like they like each other. Maybe there will be some little beagihuahuas running around in a few months ;)