Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Lately

As of late, I turned 27. Sounds young and old at the same time. I'm three years away from 30 though. That, I don't know what I'll do then. I don't want to grow up some days. I want to stay young and feel carefree (wait a minute, what DOES that feel like?) oh never mind...

I had a wonderful birthday - and that's saying something because I had to WORK on my birthday. Boo! But I had lots of wishes of happiness and sunshine on Facebook, a light day at work (nobody showed! It was awesome!! (sorta)) and my managers got me a Coldstone ice-cream cake! It had cake batter ice-cream and red velvet cake. And there were KitKat chocolates on the top. YUM.MEE. I had two slices :)



James and I met up for dinner after work at Red Robin in the Tucson mall. I was craving one of their salads and their fries. Oh it was so delicious! James let me go to Down East Basics afterwards were I got a little something. Debra and Kevin gave me the Hunger Games movie. It was wrapped so I had a little helper help me open it. :)
he LOVES wrapping paper and unwrapping stuff :)
So thank you all who helped make my birthday a good day!

***
The day after my birthday, still a good day. But I had a brush with a visitor that I'd rather not have again. This little bugger of a scorpion was playing hide and seek. He was the hider and I was the seeker, unbeknownst to me. Well, I found him, and he didn't like it. I was doing dishes and I reached over to grab the sponge and I felt something on my hand. You know that thing with a bunch of pins that you put your hand under and push on them and you get the imprint of your hand in pins? Ok, imagine that thing but imagine that the pins touched you just ever so lightly. THAT feeling is what it felt like when he jumped onto my hand. Its amazing the signals your brain receives so quickly from nerves and neurons and such....anyway, I felt that feeling on my hand and in a split second looked down at my hand, while starting to scream, and immediately began slapping at my hand. I had the water running on my hand at this point too and that helped protect me from his back side stinging me. But man oh man, in about 2.5 seconds I went from having a calm washing dishes experience to me completely freaking out and shaking like a leaf. And then I had the genius thought, I NEED MY CAMERA! (because it's awesome and takes real good pictures!) The things I think about. Remind me to tell you the story of me and an oven one time. That'll really tell you the things I think about in extreme situations. Aaaaaaannnnnyway, here he is:

***
Well, it has begun again.
FOOTBALL.
Football Season is upon us once again.
Hooray!
So far the season has started out wonderfully. Our alma mater BYU won, the Gators won, and my OK Sooners won! Hooray!



The first game we celebrated with fondue!


***
This past weekend was Labor Day and me and Boomer spent it in Mesa. James is out of the country, in Germany, for work. I will make that a completely separate post or maybe even make him do it. He's shared some great photos with me so I'll make sure to post them. 

Anywho, I went up to Mesa Saturday morning after James left. It was just a nice relaxing weekend. Went swimming, where I shot an 80% free throw game! 8 out of 10 free-throws is pretty good for me! Jordan and I played a few games of War (man, it has been forever since I played that game and I'm happy to say that it is still enjoyable. Long, but enjoyable.). I also ate VERY well up there. Mom always fixes good food. We had breakfast for dinner on Sunday, pancakes on Monday morning and we did hamburgers with some REAL good scalloped potatoes by Aunt Patti. And the pie....the oreo cream pie....WOW. They had to roll me out to the car when I left.

Something really fun we did was go to the aquarium at the Arizona Mills mall. Its small and incredibly crowded but I enjoyed myself. I had my camera with me so it made for an enjoyable experience. I didn't even notice the crowds I was too busy trying to get a good angel, or catch just the right amount of light. Some pictures turned out fantiastic. Others not so much because I wasn't allowed to use the flash. But fun nevertheless. We want to go back again with Jason and Holly and their girls. The aquarium was cool for adults but it's more suited for children so we thought that the girls would love it. 

All in all, a fantastic weekend. Didn't want it to end :( But sadly, all good things must come to an end. Whoever made that quote was right, but a very sad person. Thank goodness for the invention of cameras to allow the feelings of fun to continue as we remember them.





eel

the starfish they had were absolutely gorgeous! and so brightly colored!



i LOVE this picture!




hard to get without a flash but they would run away at it so i couldn't use it.

love the colors


love the purple colors in this photo. the lighting was really pretty. the fish practically glowed!





pregnant!


found Nemo!

2 comments:

Erika said...

Fun aquarium trip! So glad you updated!! I love the look on Boomer's face "what? you want to play?!" So funny. Ah, so now I understand a bit more. James is in Germany for work, and you're going to go join him. It's all making sense now.

CKC Conger said...

Love reading your posts Mel and seeing all the fantastic pictures you take. Those starfish are gorgeous!!But I especially love the pic of the little shrimp(?) and the pregnant seahorse. So cool!