My Father's mother passed away this morning at 1:45 in Tennessee. She was 76 years old.
Love you Grandma. You'll be missed! But I'm so glad that you have found rest and are with the rest of your family (Your mom, Donny, and I hope Jared gave you the biggest hug ever from me!!)
What I remember most about Grandma:
-her spitfire personality. She knew how to put her foot down and stand her ground.
-her home in Geneva. That trailer home was packed with more stuff a kid could explore through that it provided hours of opportunity and entertainment. And that was just on the inside! The grounds and woods were also a "magical land" of exploration. We found and fixed up a fort that my dad and uncles had built some time ago. I also used to throw big rocks into the ditch and watch them splash. I got in trouble with her for doing that...
-her home was also where Jason and I learned to paint ceramics. My mother still hangs the ornaments we made with Grandma on her tree.
-grandma could paint! She had a marvelous talent with a brush. I remember a few of her landscape artworks and a lot of her ceramics. I still have the ballerina and the teddy bear piggy bank and the mermaid jewelry box she painted for me. Not to mention every year I see the 25 Santas my mother was given for Christmas over time.
-Grandma loved her Soap Operas :) I remember sitting on her water bed with my cousin Amy and we watched a few with her while eating cookies we found in Papa's "secret" stash.
-painting wasn't her only talent. Cake making/decorating was also an art for her. I still remember the pink and purple Barbie doll dress cake I had when I was younger. I loved that cake. She made Jason and Holly's wedding cake too. It was beautiful.
-she could sing beautifully. She participated in her ward choirs and I got to see her sing there a few times.
-her dress of choice while at home was a "mu-mu" nightgown.
-she loved animals and had a myriad of them. The ones that I remember the most were all of her cats she had roaming around. My favorite was Calico. It looked like one of the stuffed animals I had in my collection. The other animal of hers that was most memorable was Ginger. She was a rascally little tea-cup pup that you'd step on if you weren't careful. But she could fit in our hands perfectly but be able to pick up a full size tennis ball all by herself. She loved Grandma too. I think Grandma had a bird aviary too. And a few stray bobcats also.
-I loved Christmases at her house. Our stockings were always chock full of goodies and we ALWAYS had our Orange at the bottom. Our gifts always seemed to be odd and as a kid I was stupid and didn't really appreciate them. Now I realize she was trying to help us appreciate things more ;) The best gift I remember getting and still have was a doll house from her that she had handmade and took the time to make it perfect. I had all the furniture for it right down to the fruit bowls. It had all been made or picked out by Grandma. I also still have the angel doll she gave me. It has. blonde hair and blue eyes. Grandma must have had a vision of who I'd marry and thought my posterity would look like this doll. I hope that's the case :)
-her attention to the precise detail was incredible.
-Grandma had unwavering faith. She always had a strong testimony of the Gospel that nobody could take away. She was always quoting some kind of scriptural verse :) and when she got fired up enough she'd sound like a cursing Southern Baptist preacher :)
-Grandma was SOUTHERN. What else need be said? :)
-I remember riding in the covered back of her tan Honda truck with Amy. I also remember sitting up front with Amy and being so jealous that she knew how to switch the gears and that Grandma would let her! :)
-I remember getting to spend one afternoon with her summer 2010 in UT and she finally got to meet my husband. Such a sweet time and memory. She was staying in SLC,UT with Gloria and so she took us around the block to show us the pretty flowers and the cemetery she liked to walk in. We took her to the Lion House for lunch and she really liked that.
-I "blame" Grandma for a portion of my conviction of Eternal families. She would say that she saw Jared in the Spirit World as well as her Donny (her son that passed away as an infant). I believed her. Some were unsure of how to take such a bold declaration of vision but I was young and open to it. I remember wishing with all my heart that I could see him too. Grandma said that Jared was at Jason's wedding and I remember being so angry that I couldn't go in and feel/see that too! :)
-I remember when Grandma and Papa went through the temple. I wasn't there but I knew that it made her sooo happy!
-Grandma will always be a part of me
Love you Grandma!!





4 comments:
I love this post, Melony!
I'm so sorry to hear that Mel, what a wonderful post to remember her by. I hope you added it to a scrap book!
Praying for you guys :)
Thanks for the post. I enjoyed reading the memories - it reminded me of a few of my own and emphasized her influence on my life as well.
p.s. the truck was an Isuzu Pup.
Beautiful tribute to a wonderful Daughter, Sister, Mother an d Grandma. Thank you Melony.
Post a Comment