Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Frieburg & Neuschwanstein

 Frieburg was the most "city" that I had seen thus far on my trip. I went to Frieburg the same day as Triberg. I didn't spend too much time here because I was still two hours away from Uberlingin. I had just enough time to visit the Munster Unserer Lieben Frau (Don't ask me what that means, all I know is that it is a cathedral). And a very BIG cathedral at that. I love going into these churches. They are just so pretty to me. And the country side was gorgeous. On my way back to the car to leave, I found out I could've gone up to the very top of the tower but I had just barely missed the closing time. Oh well. Maybe next time? :)








When I made it back to Uberlingin we had dinner at this really neat restaurant. It was in an old cellar so it was down into the ground and had rock walls. It was cool though. Afterwards, we were a little crazy and got some ice cream while it was cold. I would say it was about as cold there at night as Tucson gets during January in the mornings (around the low 50s). So it was chilly.


It was our last night in Uberlingin so we took the long way back to the hotel and got a neat shot of the little village across the lake. It's still pretty blurry but I'm really pleased with how it looks. James' coworker Bob taught me a few little tricks to the camera.


The next morning we headed out and James and I finally got to explore together! Our first stop: Neuschwanstein Castle! I was so excited to see this castle. The weather was not so kind and remained foggy so it was a bit of a let down but I tried to keep my excitement by enjoying the fact that I was in Germany, with my hubby, and we were going into a REAL castle! Because of the fog the whole of the castle was hard to make out. I found some pictures on the internet of what it is supposed to look like though. It. Is. Gorgeous. I was in love with it and the surrounding area. And the inside of it was gorgeous, grand, elegant, and majestic. I loved the throne room. There were over 2 million mosaic stones that made up the floor and the marble for the staircase was shipped in from Italy!







some of the inside views. we weren't allowed to take pictures of the inside of the castle unfortunately so this is all i could find that showed all the rooms we saw. the upper right corner is the throne room but the picture doesn't do it justice.

isn't this beautiful!!! this is probably what it looked like from above the day we went.
This was the only view of the alps i got the day we went to the castle. one little bit of sunshine and then it was dark again.

1 comment: