Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Feeling Grateful

So, in the current month's Ensign (December 2011) the home teaching message, er, actually, it's really the First Presidency's message, talks about the choice to be grateful. Its a great message and I felt the need to be more grateful. So, for Family Home Evening last night James and I took the Youth's Challenge from the article. It challenges the youth to write down 100 things they are grateful for and gave a guideline to help think of things. James and I followed the guideline, each of us writing down our thoughts, then coming together to compare. This is what we came up with:

A. Ten physical abilities you're grateful for:
1. My 5 senses work; I am grateful to see.
2. I can walk; I am grateful to work on the computer.
3. I can read and write; I am grateful to be able to drive.
4. I can run; I am grateful to be able to read.
5. I can hug my husband; I am grateful to be able to sing.
6. I can play with my dog; I am grateful to be able to run.
7. I can swim; I am grateful to be able to hug my wife.
8. My body functions normally; I am grateful to be able to water-ski.
9. I can lift things; I am grateful to be able to throw a ball.
10. I can speak and sing; I am grateful to be able to give my wife kisses. :)


B. Ten material possessions you're grateful for:
1. Computer; Car
2. Books; House
3. Photographs; Clothing
4. Jewelry; TV
5. Clothing; Books
6. Shoes; Boomer
7. Decor; Tools
8. House; Food
9. Bed; Computer
10. Piano; Wedding ring


C. Ten living people you're grateful for:
1. My husband; My dad
2. Parents; My mom
3. Siblings; My wife
4. In-laws; A living Prophet
5. Extended Family; My siblings
6. Friends; In-laws
7. Ward Sisters; My co-workers
8. Grandparents; My college professors
9. Living prophets and apostles; My friends
10. Boomer (he's a person to me); Our ward


D. Ten deceased people you're grateful for:
1. Jared; Grandma and Grandpa Hall
2. Grandparents; The Savior (though, when he really thought about it, it doesn't really count. He Lives)
3. James Godson Bleak; Joseph Smith
4. President Hinckley; Sir Isaac Newton
5. Chase Hunt; George Washington
6. Aunt Louise; Brigham Young
7. Brigham Young; Lord Kelvin
8. Joseph Smith; Walt Disney
9. Passed members of the Quorum of the 12; Bishop Badger
10. Signers of the Declaration of Independence and Constitution; Gordon B. Hinckley


E. Ten things in or about nature you're grateful for:
1. Flowers; Warmth
2. Soft green grass; Mountains
3. Trees; Grass
4. Mountains; Lakes and rivers
5. Seasons; Desert sunsets
6. Oceans; Eclipses
7. Colors; Trees
8. Animals; Colors
9. Beauty; Cacti
10. Calming ability; Javalinas


F. Ten things about today you're grateful for:
1. Coming home to a house; When I'm appreciated at work.
2. Coming home to Christmas lights; I'm grateful that I could play with Boomer.
3. Coming home to my husband; I can snuggle with my wife.
4. Coming home to my puppy; My big TV.
5. Coming home!; A warm delicious meal.
6. Friends at work; Timely use of Christmas lights.
7. Car with a heater; Friends at work.
8. Working windshield wipers; A desert rainstorm.
9. I had a lunch to eat; Sweet kisses.
10. We have jobs; Clean house.


G. Ten places on earth you're grateful for:
1. A home in Mesa; Our house.
2. A home in Elwood; The Draper Temple.
3. Temples; Bear Lake.
4. Oklahoma; BYU campus
5. Venezuela; NYC
6. My home; Venezuela
7. Provo, UT; Bear River High School.
8. Bear Lake; Mt. Lemmon.
9. Disney (Land and World); Disney Land
10. Florida; The beach
The Sealing room we were married in :) (Draper, UT Temple)
H. Ten modern inventions you're grateful for:
1. Airplanes; Internet
2. Dishwashers; TVs
3. AC/Heaters; Rockets
4. Computers; Computers
5. iPods; Cell phones
6. Cars; Jet airplanes
7. Light bulbs; Modern medical technologies
8. Pre-lit Christmas trees; Nuclear power
9. Helicopters; DVDs
10. Shape-Ups; Video Games


I. Ten foods you're grateful for:
1. Bread; Pizza
2. Chocolate; Chinese take-out
3. Peanut butter (especially mixed with chocolate!); Cold cereal
4. Fruit; Ice cream
5. Vegetables; Candy
6. Pasta; Black beans and rice
7. Mexican (some...); Steak
8. Cheeeeeese; Buffalo wings
9. French fries; Pasta
10. Meat; Cox Creamed Honey


J. Ten things about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints you're grateful for:
1. Families are forever; Eternal families
2. Primary; Forgiveness through repentence
3. Relief Society; Volunteer leadership
4. The Priesthood; Fast offerings
5. Temples; Missionary program
6. The Atonement of the Savior; The Book of Mormon
7. Living Prophet; Temples
8. Same church that Christ Himself established; A ward family
9. The Restoration; A living Prophet
10. I am a child of God; The Priesthood
(It was hard to only list 10 for this section!)


We really had a great time doing this. It was fun to see us write the same things down and hear the different ones. All day today I've been thinking how I can add to this list. We are blessed so much by Heavenly Father! I feel like...was it Mormon or Moroni that said something like, "This isn't even a hundredth part"? I feel like this list of 100 things doesn't even scratch the surface of how many blessings I have in my life. I need to do these exercises more often. They're humbling and motivate me to be a better "thanker." Is that even a word? :) I want to be thankful more is what I mean :) So, thank YOU for reading this blog post :)

1 comment:

Erika said...

I liked reading yours and James comments and see what wave lengths you were on and how alike and unalike some of your comments were. Funny.

Someone at our branch gave a talk a few weeks ago and posed the question "If you woke up tomorrow with only the things that you thanked Heavenly Father for the night before, what would you have?" Definite food for thought.

Oh, and be thankful that kids aren't born with the ability and inclination to do self haircuts. :)